The motto of the GNAS, the Governing Body of the Sport, is:
UNION, TRUEHEART, COURTESIE
Please try to remember this, and in particular the following principles which appear in the Rules of Shooting:
A Good Archer:
- Does not talk in a loud voice whilst others are shooting.
- Does not talk to another competitor who obviously prefers to be silent.
- Does not make any exclamation on the shooting line which might disconcert a neighbour in the act of shooting.
- Does not go behind the target to retrieve his arrows before their score has been recorded.
- Does not walk up and down the shooting line comparing scores.
- Does not touch anyone else’s equipment without permission.
- Does not leave litter.
- When calling scores does so in groups of three, for example “7-7-5” pause “5-5-3”.
- If they break another’s arrow through his own carelessness, offers to pay for it in cash on the spot.
- Thanks the Target Captain at the end of each round for work on their behalf.